It’s hard to imagine that these stacks of fabrics will actually make a quilt, but that’s 65″ x 83″ worth of quilt top.
There are fifty rectangles and eight squares of Mendocino fabric. Three hundred thirty-six squares and rectangles in aqua. Three hundred ninety-three rectangles of purple.
If anyone is quilting along (Mod Times Quilt-Along) and wants to make their quilt larger, this is what I decided to do. I’m making mine nine columns across and six rows down, with no changes to the size of the pieces. It should come out about 65″ x 83″.
From the print fabric, you need:
50 @ 3.5 x 7.5
08 @ 3.5 x 3.5
From the border fabric:
049 @ 1.5 x 9.5
100 @ 1.5 x 7.5
108 @ 1.5 x 5.5
016 @ 1.5 x 3.5
120 @ 1.5 x 2.5
From the background fabric:
240 @ 2.5 x 4.5
096 @ 2.5 x 2.5
I very much hope that I got the numbers right when I was figuring out what to cut – I don’t have very much spare purple and what what left I cut into 2.5″ strips for binding. I really want to finish the quilt with that purple framing the edge, but I don’t know if I’ll have enough length left to do the entire way around. I may have to piece it with other scraps or to use some aqua (I do have a fair chunk of that left). I could try buying more of the purple, but I don’t recall what colour it was and I’d be concerned about dye lot anyway. (Looking at the inventory at Simply Solid Fabric, where I bought it from, I think it might be Kona Raisin, but it could be Hibiscus or Dark Violet or some other very deep, dark purple.)
It took me a few hours today to cut all of that, and now my legs are tired, cramped, and sore, and I’ve got a headache to end all headaches. But hopefully I’ll get started sewing tomorrow, because I’m excited to see what it’ll look like.