Finish: Double Wedding Ring Table Runner

Double Wedding Ring by clumsy chord

Double Wedding Ring, a photo by clumsy chord on Flickr.

I keep not talking about this one because this photo is so dreary and it makes me not want to talk about it, but I’m going to have to get around to talking about it at some point. And it’s already gone off to it’s new home, so I really can’t take any more photos. And even if I could take more photos, the colours are pretty much spot on, so it’s not going to look much less dreary anyway. (I think it’s that off-white background with the sepia print on it. Just drags it right down to dreary.)

This was one of my oldest unfinished projects. I can’t remember when I started it, but I lived in Saskatoon at the time. And if I mentally travel back to when I lived there, I would have had to have started it sometime between 2004 and 2006, I think. A friend and I took a class at a local quilt shop there, Periwinkle Quilting, and it’s taken me lo these many years to finish it.

Someday I’ll catch up on all these old projects. (Actually, this is one of my 12 in 2012 projects, which is made up mostly of old projects. Though I’ve got older projects still…)

I still like this one, though it’s as traditional a pattern as traditional gets and though I did it in colours and prints that don’t really feel very me. At the time, way back when, my mom’s kitchen/dining/living room were done in pink and pale greens, and so I’d done this intending to fit in with that colour scheme, but with the intent of pulling it a little away from the sweetness of the pink and green and pushing it a little more towards the darker range with the burgundy.

It’s interesting to look at old projects like this and see what I knew at the time. In this case, how to put together colours/shades so that didn’t look flat – there’s lots of variation in value through the rings – and also how to put the emphasis on the burgundy rather than the pink. But it’s also frustrating to look at old projects and see what I didn’t know. How to accurately cut (along the grain). How to accurately piece. How to join my corners properly.

When I started working on this in January, my goal was basically just to get it done. I didn’t want to spend time trying to make it perfect (nor could I – the construction method was perfect for adding ripples and waves, but not so much for keeping things accurate), so I just fixed the most obvious problems (a split seam), pressed, and then quilted it.

In retrospect, I wish I’d quilted it more densely, but I like the blend of curves and straight lines I put into this. It’s meant to be a tablerunner, so if I’d done it more densely, it might sit a little flatter on a table, but I think it’ll be okay anyway. (And it doesn’t match my mom’s kitchen/dining/living room anymore, so I’m really not sure what she’ll do with it!)

When I’m back in Saskatchewan someday, I’ll have to take some more pictures to show a little more detail – the print on the back (which is a tiny little paisley, also used for most of the binding), and the blanket stitch in burgundy floss I did around the rings. And I’ll even measure it, because for whatever reason, I like to keep records like that.

In any case, it was finished on February 13, 2012 and gifted on February 17, 2012. At least five or so years late for the Mother’s Day gift it had been intended for, but gifted nonetheless.


Drop me a line...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s