So it’s me again… after a long break. Something about the new year makes me want to try blogging again, even though I often find it inexplicably too hard. (It takes toooooooooo long etc.) And then simultaneously I find myself annoyed that I can’t put more information into my Instagram posts without overloading the format. (I mean, IG is NOT built for blog length posts.)
Anyway, another thing about the new year is how it makes you want to get on top of things, makes you want to tackle problems head on. So naturally I’m doing a few finish-my-projects type challenges. One of them is All People Quilt‘s APQ Resolutions challenge, in which you make a numbered list of 12 projects you want to make headway on and then each month they give you a number, which is the project you then try to tackle. The other is the Finish-A-Long, which is hosted by a number of bloggers. I have intermittently participated in both in the past, but nearly always forget to actually link up with my finishes (when I have them…), but hey! No harm in trying again!
Because I only know which APQResolutions projects I’ll be working on in the month I will be working on it, it’s not very practical to combine those projects into the Finish-a-long projects…. unless I just load all 12 projects in each quarter and tackle them as they come up. So that’s what I’m going to do! These are mostly dreadful photos, but here are… well, 13 projects I hope to tackle in the next quarter (and the rest of the year).
1. Blue Nine Patch Quilt — Need to baste, quilt, and bind.
2. Blue Orange Big Block Quilt – Need to make the backing larger, then to baste, quilt and bind.
3. Carolyn Friedlander Patchwork Quilt – Need to quilt and bind.
4. Cat Baby Quilt – Need to baste, quilt, and bind.
5. Christmas Figs Starfish Quilt – Need to add borders and then baste, quilt, and bind.
6. Mermaid Baby Quilt – Need to baste, quilt, and bind.
7. Midnight Mystery – Need to baste, quilt, and bind.. (I might add borders to this one, haven’t decided.)
8. Moda Love Baby Quilt – Need to add borders and then baste, quilt, and bind.
9. Modern Block of the Month Baby Quilt – Need to baste, quilt, and bind.
10. Pink/Black Bear Claw Quilt – Need to make 3 more blocks, then baste, quilt, and bind.
11. Quarter Section Quilt – Need to finish piecing the top, then baste, quilt, and bind.
12. St Louis Sixteen Patch Quilt – Need to baste, quilt, and bind.
Finally, 13. South East West Quilt – This is a pattern I’m testing for Schneider House Quilt Studio. I need to finish piecing the blocks, then to baste, quilt, and bind.
My real goal this year is just to finish more and a lot of that is just tackling the quilting. I actually enjoy quilting, but it is time consuming and doesn’t leave me a lot of time for piecing (I need a second machine! and a second table! and space to put it in!), which I also enjoy. I also really despise basting, so I tend to put it off. But an unfinished quilt is not a quilt and if I want to call myself a quilter,… I should probably make some quilts.
So to that end: my January project for APQResolutions is #3, the Carolyn Friedlander Random Patchwork.
I pieced this top in 2016 and then never did anything with it, but it’s basted now and ready to be quilted. I just need to decide how exactly I’m going to quilt it. I’ve been toying with the idea of doing sort of… orange peel quilting in the white squares and then doing something more complex in the coloured squares. Or the opposite maybe. But I don’t know… I’m paralysed by indecision, sometimes.
My other current project is #13 South East West. I am pattern testing for the designer and won’t be showing too many pictures of it while it’s in progress, but at the moment I’m getting my last few HSTs completed so that I can start piecing the blocks. I’m hoping to have the top done by Monday, but we will see how it goes!